When it comes to investing in a new heater, you might be more concerned with the heating power, brand or even price of the heater than anything else. Upfront details and costs do matter, but operational costs should never be underestimated. You need a heater that will perform efficiently for your home instead of becoming a major energy vampire, sucking away all your electricity throughout the winter!
Trahan’s Heating & Air Conditioning has spent years serving the Houma area with premier heater replacement services. More importantly, we always want to install an efficient furnace in your home, and we’d love to help you do just that.
What Is AFUE?
The way that heater efficiency is measured is through a rating called the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE). Each furnace that is manufactured is rated with an AFUE to showcase how efficient it is. What does furnace efficiency really mean?
Heater efficiency is how much fuel (gas/electricity) your heating system must use to produce the temperature you desire. For heaters with combustible fuel (like natural gas), some of that energy is wasted in the combustion process. If the furnace can waste very little in the combustion process, it is considered highly efficient.
What AFUE Rating Is Considered Efficient?
Now you know what AFUE means, you’re probably wondering what efficiency rating is best. The Department of Energy set the minimum efficiency rating to 80% in 2007, making your typical furnace pretty efficient. Anything within 80-89% is considered average. High-efficiency furnaces — or those that have an AFUE rating of 90% or more — are designed to waste as little energy as possible.
Benefits of Higher Efficiency
One of the main arguments against high-efficiency furnaces is the upfront cost. While this is understandable, it’s also important to note the many advantages of investing in a system that runs more efficiently.
- Lower Operational Cost: When your heating system uses less energy to do the same job, it can save you a lot of money over the years. Lower energy bills mean more money in your pocket and less stress over your utility bills!
- Accurate Comfort: A more efficient system can also warm your home quicker and with more precision. It is specifically designed to produce heat faster and distribute it to your home.
- Higher Indoor Air Quality: High-efficiency heaters are built with better filtration, catching more air particles as it processes your air. You could always benefit from cleaner air in your home!
- Quiet Operation: Since these furnaces don’t work as hard to create heat, they operate quietly. You’ll be thankful that you can’t hear the system loudly turning on and off!
- Environmentally Friendly: The less waste that is created during combustion, the less pollution is expelled into the air outside! Efficiency = Green Living.
Ready To Invest In Heater Efficiency?
The team at Trahan’s Heating & Air Conditioning can help you make this decision. With our specialized tools, expertise and determination, we always find a system that matches your heating and budgetary needs. Call us today to start receive the heating installation service you deserve!